What is Portal? Definition of Portal?
Portal is derived from Latin word “porta” which means gate.
Portal is a website that acts as gateway and single point of access for variety of services like search, e-mail, link to other sites, online shopping, and games and organizes resources e.g. news, map, address book, weather, reports. The main feather of web portal includes application integration, task management, personalization, business intelligent, social collaboration, work Flow, content management system, and document management system, personal login.
Purpose of a portal? Working on the portal? Nature of portal? Why use a portal?
Types of portals: The portals differentiate on the basis of their content and intended users.
Vertical portals: It emphasizes and cover specific field, industry, area of subject and domain such as construction, chemical.
Horizontal portals: It covers many areas of interest, subjects, and something for everyone. These portals provide access point to other site and provide variety of services like search engines, email, news, weather etc. Its examples are Yahoo (www.yahoo.com), MSN (www.msn.com).
Market Place portals: These portals provide e-commerce facilities like business to business and business to consumer. These websites provide the software support for online e-commerce transaction, information about products on sale, facility of discussion groups between vendor and customers. Examples of such websites are eBay (www.eBay.com), EC21 (www.ec21.com).
Government portals: It is specific for government department and their services. Examples are usa.gov, india.gov.in.
Search portals: After aggregating the search result of different search engines, it shows the result on one page e.g. Google (www.google.com), Ask (www.ask.com).
Employee portal: Employee portal provides useful information about employee like work schedules, benefit information, forms and notices for upcoming events. Examples are
Community portals: Here information is flow in two ways; it contains bulletin boards, information. It provides platform for discussion, brand yourself, and engage with people. Example is Wikipedia.org,
Enterprise portal: It is a website where customer and partner, company staff interact with each other and use different services like a search engine, email, customized and up-to-date content, meeting schedule tools, News, weather, announcements of corporate programs etc.
Content management portal: The purpose behind this portal to access and share information. It enables the users to post and share documents or content with others. These portals provide feathers like Check-in/check-out, a security mechanism, workflow etc.
Tender portal: It is a place where proposal and bids submitted and accessed online by the government suppliers on providing the goods and services. The user can search, modify, submit, review and archive data in order to provide a complete online tendering process.
Stock portal: These portals provide the latest up to date information to the share holders about the latest price, current situation of stock exchange market, latest market price of share, ask/bid, latest news, reports,
Media portal: These portals provide information about consumer, business, fashion or focus on entertainment. These portals remain update to the user on current affairs, news,
Job portal: This is the website where different companies posted their jobs and different job seeker registered them and search according to their qualification and requirement. In short it provides connection between employer and job seeker. Famous job portal are linkedIn.com, and indeed.com etc.
Benefits of portal? Advantages of portals?
- Portals provide personalization and customization facility that means the customer can tailor the website according to their needs can filter the information, use tools to target or identified the user group.
- Portals provide a wide range of functionalities like search, email, calendar, reports, latest news, updates, stock prices etc.
- The organizations can use the portal to get feedback from their customer to enhance their sale and to increase the quality of their products.
- Portal provides a variety of services in which searching is one; through search engines users search a lot of information to enhance their knowledge.
- Job seeker can search jobs according to their requirements and also keep touch with up to date job market situations, opportunities, and trends.
- Employees can use the portal to get work schedule, form, and notices and to know upcoming events in the organization.
- Media portal provides latest current affairs and reports the latest news and update to the users about different issues, subjects, and fields.
- Many portals provide flexible content and layout design.
- Different collaborating tools like email, threaded discussions, chat, and bulletin board that provides a way to communicate and
shareinformation are offered by many portals. It isa source of social collaboration and bringing people together.